When I downloaded Instagram way back in 2011, I had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Yes, we can harp on forever more (and with good reason!) about all the great stuff – the beautiful photography, the community and the friendships. But what about the other side? The daily grind of it all?
If you’re addicted to Instagram, and by addicted I mean that you invest hours per week (in my case, per day) into it – it will near send you around the bend and back again. It’ll take over! Most things that you do, will be done – yes to have a nice time and live your best life… but also with underlying hope that it’s going to be Instagrammable. Your mind always on that next photo. From where you go, to what you eat to how you see the world in Instagram squares, it’ll have you talking in hashtags and dropping the word engagement into every other conversation. And I don’t mean of the marrying kind!
So here’s a little insight into 22 struggles that I face as an Instagram addict (and that you can look forward to if you’re new to the app 😉 ).
Whether you’re flirting with Instagram, or are signed, sealed and committed like me, I think you’ll be able to relate! Without further ado…
- 1. You refresh your Instagram hundreds of times a day.
- 2. You have to put your phone in another room if you need to be productive.
- 3. You judge a coffee shop on whether their latte art is Instagrammable or not.
Yep Stories coffee house in Leeds passes the Instagram test!
- 4. You worry about whether your overseas travels will fit in with your grid’s palette.
- 5. After your alarm goes off in the morning, the first thing you do is check your Instagram.
- 6. You see brickwork, you think backdrop.
So much more than just a wall…
- 7. You select your stationery based on its flatlayability.
- 8. Peonies, wisteria, hydrangea and pumpkins – you just can’t help yourself!
What do you mean I bought these for the sole purpose of Instagramming them?! 😉
- 9. Caption block. It’s a recognised thing, people.
- 10. If it’s not on your Instagram stories, then it probably didn’t happen.
- 11. You can’t leave the house without your phone charger.
- 12. What do you mean there’ll be no natural light?!
- 13. You plan your days out based on visiting places you’ve seen doing the rounds on your explore page. Peggy Porschen’s anyone?!
When you just HAVE to go to that place you saw on Instagram…
- 14. The word algorithm will be very much a part of your daily vocabulary.
- 15. Instagram likes, feel like a currency.
- 16. Did somebody say posting schedule?
- 17. Being featured on Instagram’s WHP (weekend hashtag project) is probably on your bucket list…
- 18. You’ll set yourself targets for how many followers you would like to have by a given time.
- 19. If you’re planning a wedding, having a baby – you’ll have dedicated hashtags for your nuptials/child, all pencilled in and waiting.
His hashtag was born before he was!
- 20. You like to chat about the era of the earlybird filter as the good old days of Instagram.
- 21. You’ll find yourself caught between posting what YOU love and feel like posting to what you think your followers love and expect you to be posting.
- 22. You’re nothing without your Instagram husband (or wife!)
If I’m in the frame, then James took the picture!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…